Re: SQL vs ProC

From: Tim Smith <tssmith_at_netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 14:00:32 GMT

mikee_at_sys8.wfc.com (Mike Eggleston) writes:
>You'll get better performance by making sure that your database,
>tables and indexes are designed correctly. I have not seen any
>reasonable speed improvements using embedded SQL, but you can get some
>performance increases by using the OCI calls (which I think is what
>Pro*C is).

Given array fetching, you won't see any real difference between an OCI application and a Pro*C application.

PRO*C IS NOT THE OCI. THE OCI IS NOT PRO*C. THEY ARE DIFFERENT!!! You are correct that the most visible performance improvements will come from optimization in the db and the query. Pro*C (or the OCI) can only help by fetching in larger blocks (bigger array size) than SQL*Plus (or whatever is running the script).

--Tim (tssmith_at_netcom.com) Received on Tue Dec 13 1994 - 15:00:32 CET

Original text of this message