Re: Is Oracle Compatable with Mac System 7? If not, why not?

From: David Scott <dscott_at_is.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 1994 00:10:00 -0500

 (mimihill_at_cats.ucsc.edu) writes:
> >My department is about to have our chart of accounts go system-wide and
> >we are going to need to find a way to upload data from FMPro into an
> >Oracle based database. I am having a fair amount of trouble getting
> >straight answers around here regarding compatablility. If this Oracle
> >based software is System 7 compatable, can't I just upload the data
> >through Publish/Subscribe? If not, does anybody have any good solutions?
> > I do not know how to program in SQL but I am about to take a class.
> >Does anyone know if this is a situation where I will need to learn SQL
> >and if so, are there any good, easy books out there or tutorials???
> >

> I would have thought that Oracle is System 7 compatible but I am
> not sure. If not the product you need to look at is SQL*Loader
> which can take any format data file and load it into any number of
> Oracle database tables. It is a very easy product to use and well
> documented in the Oracle Utilities Guide supplied as part of the
> Oracle documentation set.

Oracle is DEFINITELY System 7 compatible!!! I use it every day, both with Oracle6 and Oracle7 - even both from the same Mac. Yes, SQL*Loader is the tool you need; save your FMPro data in either tab-delimited or fixed record text files; SQL*Loader will then be able to read it. Oracle does NOT suppor Publish and Subscribe. To load the data, you will NOT need to learn SQL, but you WILL need to have the SQL*Loader documentation in order to create control files to command SQL*Loader.

If you have any other questions about Oracle on the Mac, maybe I can help. I am a DBA in a Mac shop; we use Macs for clients and servers, and have some other Oracle server platforms as well. Good luck!!!

--
David Scott
...how can I keep from singing?