Re: Distributed Databases (was Replication Server)

From: Jim Ancona <janco_at_dbsoftware.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 1994 14:34:37 GMT

In article <3bt6mh$eh4_at_c2.eunet.co.at>, paul_at_eunet.co.at says...
>I haven't used Replication Server, but am writing a paper which I am
>researching now on the different mechanisms for distributed databases.
>As far as I can tell, Sybase Replication server uses "log sniffing",
>while Oracle bases its replication upon transaction detection and
>triggers. I would wlecome comments on the differences and similarities,
>and some of the following questions:

<snip>
If you can get a copy of the magazine Database Programming and Design, the December 1994 issue has a comparison of DB2, Oracle and Sybase replication methods. Looks like a good overview of how they work and what some of the trade-offs are.

>I'd be happy to post of draft of my paper if anyone is mildly
>interested.

I'd be interested.

--
Jim Ancona               janco_at_dbsoftware.com               jpa_at_iii.net
Opinions expressed are my own, and not those of D&B Software.