Re: Is Oracle Compatable with Mac System 7? If not, why not?

From: Greg Spence <gregs_at_codefour.win-uk.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 1994 16:16:41 GMT

In article <AAF7D5F27901A622_at_porter33.ucsc.edu>, Mimi Hill (mimihill_at_cats.ucsc.edu) writes:
>My department is about to have our chart of accounts go system-wide and
>we are going to need to find a way to upload data from FMPro into an
>Oracle based database. I am having a fair amount of trouble getting
>straight answers around here regarding compatablility. If this Oracle
>based software is System 7 compatable, can't I just upload the data
>through Publish/Subscribe? If not, does anybody have any good solutions?
> I do not know how to program in SQL but I am about to take a class.
>Does anyone know if this is a situation where I will need to learn SQL
>and if so, are there any good, easy books out there or tutorials???

I would have thought that Oracle is System 7 compatible but I am not sure. If not the product you need to look at is SQL*Loader which can take any format data file and load it into any number of Oracle database tables. It is a very easy product to use and well documented in the Oracle Utilities Guide supplied as part of the Oracle documentation set.

Good Luck.

Greg Spence (gregs_at_codefour.win-uk.net)

Southampton, England