Re: data warehousing

From: Jgreene <jgreene_at_aol.com>
Date: 4 Dec 1994 17:35:13 -0500

In article <3bkfqd$8k9_at_pioneer.uspto.gov>, pierce_at_uspto.gov (William Pierce) writes:

> Has oracle published any info regarding data-warehousing?
> I would be interested in receiving information from anyone using oracle
 as a
> data-warehouse to house date from numerous different databases
 (relational
> and non-relational) and data sources.

I am not aware of any special publications on data warehouseing from Oracle, however there are a number of articles in current periodicals that discuss the subject and show examples which use Oracle (i.e. the Datamation-type publications). I am currently working with a 135 GB data warehouse using Oracle 7.0.15 (soon to be 7.1.3). It seems to work well, however be aware that the optimizer may work much better for normal OLTP applications than for very large warehouse applications (there is logic designed to consider query parse time- significant for small data stores, insignificant for large ones). Other than that, I would suggest a good normalized table design, splitting indexes and data tables and getting a hold of a good set of monitoring/tuning scripts or tools (scripts are published in such places as the Compuserve form or sometimes your Oracle tech rep can get you copies). Tuning and the formation of good queries can turn 30 minute queries into 30 second ones (we have seen this with our large instances).

As to how to get the data from multiple sources, the way we use is for applications on the mainframe (where the data goes initially) is turned into delimited files that we ship over to the info warehouse machine. From there, it is SQL*Loader's job to get the data in. There are gateways (from Oracle, IBI and others) which can pull data directly over the network (if you have a source computer that is on a compatible network). However, this brute force approach works are is a simpler way to start things off. Received on Sun Dec 04 1994 - 23:35:13 CET

Original text of this message