Re: Sybase buys Powerbuilder - Is Oracle Dead?

From: <Martyn=Jones%Suppliers%HQIM=Mun_at_bangate.compaq.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 00:40:41 GMT

Hi

Seems like a splendid opportunity for Miscrosoft to capitalise on this with some snazzy new additions to VB in the next release. I have been using Powerbuilder for quite some time know and it's a good product, however, for Complex Systems i.e. Smart AI based database applications give me VB anyday. I find VB much more felixible when it comes to the KEE type look and feel required in an Expert System shell for example.

I think that all this will prove is that Powerbuilder is the Sybase of the Client/Server tools and that Visual Basic is the Oracle of the Client/Server tools. I don't think Oracle has anything to fear - in fact it really is a great opportunity.

Martyn Jones,
Comapq Computer Corporation, Munich.

p.s. Not the views - perhaps - of my employer