Re: Largest DB in Syabse and Oracle - Startup size

From: Tom Wilson <twilson_at_netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 1994 08:21:24 GMT

In article <3a9pof$cq1_at_c2.eunet.co.at>, Michael R. Fronheiser <eb187_at_cleveland.freenet.edu> wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>I keep seeing posts asking which DB is better, Sybase or Oracle?
>I guess my test is the database that can support Large amounts
>of data with acceptable throughput.
Actually, "better" is a rather loaded/undefined term. It depends on the user and application. The two have relative strengths in

different areas.  Large amounts of data is only one measure.  Others
might be power of the programming language (transact SQL vs. PL SQL),
ease of administration, etc.  "Better" depends on the needs.

>Has anyone created a database larger that 200 Gig.? Last summer I
>helped start up a system of that size. I am sure it has increased
>in size since then, but that was the initial size. For the most
>part I would say that we did not have any significant performance
>issues. We used Sybase 4.9.? on a Dec VAX 65??.
Four consultants from my company worked on an Oracle db that was at 350 GB or more in August, increasing monthly, with design size of 800 GB. Oracle 7.1, Sequent box.

--

--Tom
twilson_at_netcom.com