Re: OPEN_CURSORS param in INIT.ORA

From: Alan MCCulloch <amccullo_at_ccu1.auckland.ac.nz>
Date: 21 Nov 1994 00:44:24 GMT

cr_at_qpgmr23.KirchGruppe.DE (Christian Rohrmueller) writes:

>Kim Ng (kimmng_at_pebbles.uswnvg.com) wrote:
>: Well, before you decide to increase the number of open cursors, make sure
>: that ALL applications CLOSE any cursor that it open (ie get rid of bad
>: programming practices first). Otherwise, you are just delaying the
>: inevitable. You'll get the same error message eventually.

>You are right, but what about FORMS-applications. As far as I know you have
>no total control over what cursors FORMS uses. We actually have problems
>whith the amount of open cursors while using FORMS. It seems that FORMS is
>not willing to close cursors until the application is finished (at least
>this is what PILOT tells me).

>Ciao
>--
>| Christian Rohrmueller | TaurusFilm GmbH & Co. | cr_at_KirchGruppe.DE |

We had alot of trouble with exceeding the maximum number of cursors, and it turned out to be a bug in the database, fixed by one of the patches that came through. The bug was listed as "...late releasing cursors", but the practical effect was that when you looped in and out of our forms application, the number of cursors open at any point in the cycle steadily increased, due to not all of the cursors being released.

The patch fixed this problem. I tracked it down by monitoring the application using the monitor command in sqldba - you can see the number of open cursors go up and up. (Finding the actual error message was another trial, as in FORMS 3.0, the error message is not visible in the window for a very long SQL statement - i.e. many fields - and you can't scroll it !. I think a trace might have helped me there - I can't remember).

This was in a release of the version 6 database under SunOs - unliklely to be your problem if you are more recent than that, but its something to watch out for. One of the very few cases where it wasn't my fault !

cheers
alan Received on Mon Nov 21 1994 - 01:44:24 CET

Original text of this message