Oracle FTP site. Open Letter to Oracle

From: Andrew McAllister <mcallister_at_neptune.grad.missouri.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 1994 10:06:31

Dear Oracle,

I find it difficult to beleive that you do not have a presence on the internet. In fact I find it a total disgrace. You are the number three
(or is it #2) software company in the world, turning billions of dollars a
year in revenue, and putting out the world's premier DBMS on multiple mainframe, mini, and micro computer platforms, yet you cannot manage a web server or even a simple ftp site. You shame yourself.

For the last several weeks a number of your employees have said off the record that you will be setting up some sort of internet access point. If this is true I commend you. Although, I must say that I have my doubts.

To that end, I offer you a solution.
I will personally provide the equipment, software, and internet access point for a Public ftp and web site dedicated to Oracle software. I will manage
(or you may provide an Oracle employee to do so) the site on my personal

time and provide 6-24 service (Suday morning is our campus maintenance window).

In exchange I ask 2 things:
1) A two year support contract for my employer's Oracle 7 server and client software. At an approximate loss in revenue to you of $6000 US. 2) That the software on the provided site be given to all licensed Oracle users without charge. You may still keep your current overly restrictive license regarding transfer of software to other parties.

Consider the following advantages of this offer: 1) You pay only $6000 US for a minimum two year Internet presence and the part time staffer to manage it.
2) Your computing facility is secure from all outside "hackers" because the main public access point will be a non-Oracle ip address. 3) Your customers both US and International, will have access to the latest patches and fixes without going through the CompuServe system (a cost savings to you and your customers).
4) I can have this system online in one week, two weeks if you want it fancy.

This offer is not a joke, although I am confident it will not be accepted.

Andrew McAllister -- mcallister_at_neptune.grad.missouri.edu Programmer Analyst II -- Office of Research University of Missouri-Columbia
The views above do not reflect those of my employer (but I do have permission
to set up the site) Received on Mon Nov 07 1994 - 10:06:31 CET

Original text of this message