Re: Performance Tuning

From: Jeff Cerrafon <cerrafon_at_nzxray.galen.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 1994 15:01:16 +1300

I see that you're quite *desperado*!

I have been in similar situation. And these are the things I did:

Problem: slow response time
FIX 1 : I changed the system kernel configuration.

	ident		"ULTRIX1"
	machine		mips
	cpu		"DS5000_100"
	maxusers	256
	processors	1
	maxuprc		75
	physmem		256
	timezone	0 dst 0
	smmax		1024
	smseg		12

        N.B.  Although I have 80 physical RAM I made the physmem to 256.

FIX 2  : Changed init.ora parameters
	reduce buffer cache to absolute mininum requirement say 150
        there are other parameters that you can modify
        but the right values will be site specific

FIX 3  : Watch out for running wild process. and kill them.
	 ps -aux command will display processes with the highest CPU%
         nb. processes with 80% or more CPU are best candidate for
             wild process.

There are a lot of things that can be done. The general rule of thumb is to optimize your hardware/Operation system performance, then optimize your network performance and then go the oracle database tuning.

>From: bpearc1_at_abacus.tis.tandy.com (Byron Pearce)
>Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
>Subject: Performance Tuning
>Date: 4 Nov 1994 00:20:20 GMT
>
>Hello newsgroup!
>
>We are running an Oracle V6.0.34.2.1 RDBMS on DEC ULTRIX 4.4 box and
>are having some major performance difficulties. For some reason or
>another, the load seems to "spike" (today it reached over 100) and
>eventually go back down. My entire week has been spent wading through
>the Oracle Performance Tuning Guide, O'Reiley's Oracle Performance
>Tuning, and just plan old-fashioned trying to digest the information
>that monitor throws at you.
>
>What I would like, if possible, is some solid advice from some people
>who have had performance problems and some of the things you looked for
>to fix it. I realize that no one can provide a magical solution without
>seeing the actual configuration, so what I am asking for is advice and
>some known (or little know) "gotchas". The Unix SysAdmin and I are both
>pulling our hair out, and the users have little dart boards with our
>pictures hanging above their desks.
>
>Advice is desperately asked for, sought, begged for, pleaded for, and
>cherished. If possible, please reply directly to me since I don't get
>a lot of time to peruse the news. (However, post if you need to and I WILL
>find the message).
>
>Thanks!

>Byron Pearce | The thoughts and views herein do not
>Tandy Information Services | necessarily reflect that of Tandy
>byron.pearce_at_tandy.com | Corporation.
>"It's hard to be a ninja when you wear a beeper."

Jeff Cerrafon                                GALEN GROUP LIMITED
Database Administrator                       Level 13, BNZ Tower
                                             Queen Street
64 09 3771780 (Office)                       Auckland
64 09 3771787 (Fax)                          New Zealand
64 025 955762 (Mobile)