Performance Tuning

From: Byron Pearce <bpearc1_at_abacus.tis.tandy.com>
Date: 4 Nov 1994 00:20:20 GMT

Hello newsgroup!

We are running an Oracle V6.0.34.2.1 RDBMS on DEC ULTRIX 4.4 box and are having some major performance difficulties. For some reason or another, the load seems to "spike" (today it reached over 100) and eventually go back down. My entire week has been spent wading through the Oracle Performance Tuning Guide, O'Reiley's Oracle Performance Tuning, and just plan old-fashioned trying to digest the information that monitor throws at you.

What I would like, if possible, is some solid advice from some people who have had performance problems and some of the things you looked for to fix it. I realize that no one can provide a magical solution without seeing the actual configuration, so what I am asking for is advice and some known (or little know) "gotchas". The Unix SysAdmin and I are both pulling our hair out, and the users have little dart boards with our pictures hanging above their desks.

Advice is desperately asked for, sought, begged for, pleaded for, and cherished. If possible, please reply directly to me since I don't get a lot of time to peruse the news. (However, post if you need to and I WILL find the message).

Thanks!

Byron Pearce                        |  The thoughts and views herein do not
Tandy Information Services          |  necessarily reflect that of Tandy
byron.pearce_at_tandy.com              |  Corporation.
"It's hard to be a ninja when you wear a beeper."