Re: Can't connect as SYSTEM user

From: Jason Kerr <jkerr_at_wvnvms.wvnet.edu>
Date: 6 Nov 94 21:15:32 EST

>> I have a feeling it has something to do with the /etc/tnsnames.ora
>> file, but I have no idea what one is supposed to look like.
>> I don't have access to the SQL*Net Admin manual, which I am
>> told contains the information about this file.
>>
>> Waiting in anticipation(anticipation is half the fun!)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Andrew Sammut

> SYSTEM is just like any other normal ORACLE username. You have to specify the
> correct password to connect. The default password is usually MANAGER.
>
> You may actually be wanting to connect to ORACLE as SYS. SYS is the owner of
> the data dictionary tables, and is the user that you connect to when you want
> to start up or shut down the database. To log in as SYS, you use CONNECT
> INTERNAL inside SQLDBA. To be able to CONNECT INTERNAL, your operating system
> account must have the ORA_DBA rights identifier (VMS) or be in the 'dba' group
> (UNIX). I am not familiar with ORACLE on OSF/1, so I don't know if uses the
> 'dba' group. The Solaris installation procedure asks you for the group that
> ORACLE should be linked under, with the default being 'dba'.

OSF/1 does use dba group. Add root to the dba group in /etc/groups. You should find the oracle currently belongs to this group. You can the connect internal as root. As fo a script, try something like this:

	#path to sqldba
	# set oracle env. (ORACLE_SID, ect...)
	sqldba <<?end
	connect system/manager (or just connect internal)
	# What ever onmmand you wish to execute.....
	exit
	?end

Good luck. Received on Mon Nov 07 1994 - 03:15:32 CET

Original text of this message