Re: Semaphores in dual instance problem

From: <jpope_at_mojo.europe.dg.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 94 13:11:01 GMT

Simon Holt (holt_at_ntrust.org.uk) wrote:
: Hi all,
: could anyone help me out with this thorny one ?

: We have just done an installation of 7.0.16 on our Sun (SunOs 4.1.3),
: and all appears to be well.

: We have our development application on 6.0.30 on the same box, and we are going
: to be porting this to 7.0 shortly.

: At the moment, therefore, I require both an 6.0 instance and a 7.0 instance
: running at the same time, which should be no problem in theory.

: However, this is my problem, I only seem to be able to start ONE instance
: at a time ! The following is the error I get when trying to start up the
: second instance (It doesn't matter whether it is the 6.0 or 7.0 coming up
: second, the error is the same)

: SQLDBA> startup
: ORA-07279: spcre: semget error, unable to get first semaphore set.
: SunOS Error: 28: No space left on device
: Additional information: 2
: SQLDBA>

: Now, I've read pages 2-18 and 2-19 of the Oracle server for Unix guide until
: I know them by heart, and have altered the semaphore paramaters until our
: sysadmin is about to murder me if I need to re-build the kernel again, but
: it will not go away. Here are the semaphore paramters I've used, together
: with the processes required by each Oracle instance:

: V6.0 processes = 40
: V7.0 processes = 50

: SEMMNI SEMMSL SEMMNS
: ----- ------ -------
: 40 200 200
: 100 200 200
: 40 75 200
: 40 75 900

: And none of those work. What is it I'm doing wrong ?
: Reply by email, and I'll summarise, thanks (if anyone else is interested, that

: Simon Holt | Voice: +44 (0) 1373 826826 x253
: (Systems analyst) | Inet: holt_at_ntrust.org.uk
: My opinions are not necessarily those of my employer

Try setting your environment variable ORANSEMS to 1 before starting each database - this forces Oracle to ask for a that number of semaphore sets for that instance, as long as 'processes' is less than SEMMSL. Received on Fri Nov 04 1994 - 14:11:01 CET

Original text of this message