Re: Semaphores in dual instance problem

From: Leo Mannhart <mannhart_at_zuv.unizh.ch>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 1994 09:02:41 GMT

In article <392phj$oc_at_sundev.ntrust.org.uk>, holt_at_ntrust.org.uk (Simon Holt) wrote:

> Hi all,
> could anyone help me out with this thorny one ?
>
> We have just done an installation of 7.0.16 on our Sun (SunOs 4.1.3),
> and all appears to be well.
>
> We have our development application on 6.0.30 on the same box, and we
 are going
> to be porting this to 7.0 shortly.
>
> At the moment, therefore, I require both an 6.0 instance and a 7.0 instance
> running at the same time, which should be no problem in theory.
>
> However, this is my problem, I only seem to be able to start ONE instance
> at a time ! The following is the error I get when trying to start up the
> second instance (It doesn't matter whether it is the 6.0 or 7.0 coming up
> second, the error is the same)
>
> SQLDBA> startup
> ORA-07279: spcre: semget error, unable to get first semaphore set.
> SunOS Error: 28: No space left on device
> Additional information: 2
> SQLDBA>
>
> Now, I've read pages 2-18 and 2-19 of the Oracle server for Unix guide until
> I know them by heart, and have altered the semaphore paramaters until our
> sysadmin is about to murder me if I need to re-build the kernel again, but
> it will not go away. Here are the semaphore paramters I've used, together
> with the processes required by each Oracle instance:
>
> V6.0 processes = 40
> V7.0 processes = 50
>
> SEMMNI SEMMSL SEMMNS
> ----- ------ -------
> 100 200 200
>
> And none of those work. What is it I'm doing wrong ?
> Reply by email, and I'll summarise, thanks (if anyone else is
 interested, that
> is ..... ;-) )

> Simon Holt | Voice: +44 (0) 1373 826826 x253
> (Systems analyst) | Inet: holt_at_ntrust.org.uk
> My opinions are not necessarily those of my employer

Try it with the following parameters in your config file: #

options IPCMESSAGE      # System V IPC message facility
options IPCSEMAPHORE    # System V IPC semaphore facility
options IPCSHMEM        # System V IPC shared-memory facility

options SEMMNI=20
options SEMMNS=150

options SEMUME=20
options SEMMNU=60

options SHMMNI=150

#
I use this values on a SparcStation 1+ running both instances (V6.0.32 and 7.0.12). Have a look at the varous IPC shared memory and semaphores parameters of the SunOS manual, chapter "Advanced Administration Topics" (I have it in the System & Network Administration manual under Reference, but this is a 4.1.1 Manual)

Good luck
LM

--
Leo Mannhart