Re: Case 5.1 availability?

From: <Rony.Flatscher_at_wu-wien.ac.at>
Date: 31 Oct 1994 11:08:39 GMT

In <38r7fj$327_at_ixnews1.ix.netcom.com>, jmjacobs_at_ix.netcom.com (Jeff Jacobs) writes:
>In <38oh4q$8sq_at_crl.crl.com> cbinder_at_crl.com (Carolyn Binder) writes:

cut

>What you've heard is correct; UNIX and VMS are now scheduled to ship in
>January of '95. 5.1.8 for Windows is apparently still on schedule for November.
>
>If by 5.2, you mean "CDE2 CASE", the beta program is expected to start in Dec.
>The hope to be production in the March timeframe, but that will depend on the
>beta results. The beta program is already closed.
>
>Note that CDE2 CASE will be a Windows *only* product; there will not be
>a port to UNIX, unless MS ports Windows Foundation Classes to UNIX.
>(WABI type situations "will be investigated").
>
>Also, there *will* be manuals for CDE2 CASE, according to Ian Fisher
>at the OCSIG Board Meeting this week. (But they may ship after the
>product :-).
>
>-JJ

Jeff:

Are you saying that Oracle bought exclusively into MS-development tools (MFC-class library) and hence is totally relying on the mercy of MS to port their development tools to other operating systems ? So, Unix-shops should start to migrate to the IMHO more than suboptimal Windows-environment and sacrificing Unix (and all investments into it) for that matter ?

Or did I misunderstand your statement, that CASE would be migrated to Windows only, starting with the next major (?) release of it ?

---rony Received on Mon Oct 31 1994 - 12:08:39 CET

Original text of this message