Newbie problems/laments

From: BARRY ROOMBERG <barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 94 09:25:00 -0400

-> My big question? Am I the dumb one or this is the way things go?

No and Yes.

-> 1) When I create a table and declare a field "Primary key" or
-> "unique" I expect it will not accept duplicates. Wrong! It will,
-> unless I create a "Unique index" for that field.

Until V7, anything other then "NOT NULL" was merely a description entry in the data dictionary, NOT enforced. SQL-Forms would take these descriptions and generate the logic IF you were using SQL-Forms.

-> 2)I am developing the tables, .sql scripts, forms, menus in Dos. Can
-> I migrate it to UNIX later? Is is simple? Where can I read on how to
-> do this. Any help/advise will be greatly apreciated.

Easily portable. Just move them to the Unix system, fix any CR/LF vs LF problems, and run. Forms will need to be regenerated from the INP files.

->
-> 3) What support options do I have from Oracle? How much does it
-> cost???

SERIOUS BUCKS! Ask them directly. Received on Wed Oct 26 1994 - 14:25:00 CET

Original text of this message