Newbie problems/laments

From: <x93aroor_at_wmich.edu>
Date: 24 Oct 94 21:20:16 EDT

Hello,

       This is my first ever posting in this group and I am just four weeks old to ORACLE 6. I have not been very happy with how things have gone. I am working with Oracle 6.0.36 dbms and tools (Dos).

For a start things (even the demo) don't work the way the manuals say they should. I have spent a lot of time thinking "I have made a mistake somewhere, Oracle can't be wrong" and then finding out it is the other way around. And before you have installed a fully functional RDBMS and tools, your free support period of a month has gone!!! It sure is kinda unfair.

My big question? Am I the dumb one or this is the way things go?

Anyway, a few fundamental questions for a start.

  1. When I create a table and declare a field "Primary key" or "unique" I expect it will not accept duplicates. Wrong! It will, unless I create a "Unique index" for that field.

2)I am developing the tables, .sql scripts, forms, menus in Dos. Can I migrate it to UNIX later? Is is simple? Where can I read on how to do this. Any help/advise will be greatly apreciated.

3) What support options do I have from Oracle? How much does it cost???

Thanks in advance to you all.
-Chandru
email: x93aroor_at_wmich.edu Received on Tue Oct 25 1994 - 02:20:16 CET

Original text of this message