Re: PCTFREE on indexes

From: Matt Connors <mdconnor_at_wheel.ucdavis.edu>
Date: 21 Oct 1994 03:47:13 GMT

In article <Cxy34A.Hvx_at_world.std.com>, extel_at_world.std.com (Chris eastland) says:

>This is for a table with zero rows at creation with primary key index.
>Will it do any good to set at 99% when there are no rows present? Not
>an option to create indexes after dataload.
>
>Also, is there a better way to actually look at the data in the tablespace
>(how it's laid out) than to use variously inventive cat or od (Unix)?
>
>chris

If I understand your question correctly, you are considering setting the pctfree parm for a primary key index at 99%. This will leave 99% of the block free for updates to the index (not inserts). Since a primary key index, by definition, will be on "not null" columns, pctfree could be as low as 0%. Hope this helps... Received on Fri Oct 21 1994 - 04:47:13 CET

Original text of this message