Re: Split this newsgroup!

From: Tommy Wareing <p0070621_at_brookes.ac.uk>
Date: 20 Oct 1994 17:40:36 GMT

In article <37uhko$oj5_at_ixnews1.ix.netcom.com>, skp_at_ix.netcom.com (SANJAY PURI) says:
>In <37u34u$ehh_at_panix.com> gmr_at_panix.com (George Reichert) writes:
>>I started this thread but how do we go about splitting it?

See the posting in news.announce.newusers. Essentially, you have a public vote over a period of 3-4 weeks. At the end of this, the group is created if 2 criteria are met: 1. The number of YES votes is at least 100 more than the number of NO votes. 2. At least 2/3 of the votes are in favour. (ie. the number of YES votes is at

   least DOUBLE the number of NO votes).

Each group must be voted for separately.

>Splitting can be done in following sub-groups
>
>1) Oracle Database Administration (All versions)
>2) Oracle6 or earlier versions
>3) Oracle7 and CDE tools
>
>Although this may seem to be very difficult, if achieved,
>it will help people in long run.

Now, let's get this straight. The group CAN be split in any way at all. The problem comes in working out what is a sensible split.

There seems to be two main camps:
1. Split into version 6 and version 7 groups. 2. Split into DBA and non-DBA groups.

If these can't be reconciled, then if a vote were to be organised, each group (of voters) would probably manage to prevent the other group's newsgroups from being created. Until then a vote is probably a waste of time.

Personally, I think that splitting this group is ridiculous: people would end up having to trawl through the same number of articles (plus all the attendant crossposting), but in 3 or 4 groups, rather than one as at the moment.

As for those people who think the current volume of posting is too great, why don't you get a kill file? Or look at the subject line? They frequently say Forms 4, or Oracle 6 or whatever. How hard can it be to scroll through a list?

IMHO, of course :)

 /  Tommy Wareing          \ /                         \
|  p0070621_at_brookes.ac.uk   X   Oh No! More Amberites!  |
 \  0865-483389            / \       A. Lemming        /