Re: Timezone information - conversion of date/times

From: Bruce Arbuckle <brucea_at_atlas.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 1994 19:16:21 GMT

In article <37l3ae$c03_at_newsserver.trl.OZ.AU> TCook_at_vtrlmel1.trl.oz.au (Tony Cook) writes:
>Hello All,
>
>Does Oracle provide any facilities to handle conversion of times from
>one timezone to another?
>
>I have had a browse through the manuals but can not find anything related.
>
>How does everyone out there handle software that needs to know about the
>time in different timezones and the conversion required between zones?
>- Store everything in GMT/UTC and convert to local time when needed?
>
>I would appreciate hearing your experiences.
>
>I am writing PL/SQL on a unix host with pc clients in a few different
>time zones.
>
>Regards,
>Tony

I just recently posted a question regarding the new_time ORACLE function and found that it will only support the timezones listed on page 4-27 of the v6 SQL language manual.

I needed MET,EET,WET in addition to those listed and they are an "enchancement".
We store all of our dates in GMT and have a timezone table that allows for conversion to any "local" time.

--
Bruce Arbuckle                                    EMAIL: brucea_at_adcmail.atlas.com