Re: Database Pipes:Opinions ?

From: <dhuet_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 94 16:13:42 EDT

In article <381f1f$hlq_at_acmey.gatech.edu>, <sm46_at_prism.gatech.edu> writes:

> We are trying to determine the feasibility of relying on the
> the "database pipes" in Oracle7 to activate a Pro*C-program in the Client
> from within the Server. On a given condition a database trigger is
> fired and the trigger in turn sends a "START" message through a database
 pipe.
> A Pro*C program running at the Client end waits on the database pipe and
 starts
> running some routines as soon as the "START" word is received.
>
> We are using Oracle7 (7.0.15.4). Our concern is to identify and weigh
> the advantage/disadvantages of relying on the database pipes scheme before it
> can be used for production purposes in our shop.
>
> Thanks in advance ! Please post the responses on the net if
> possible.
>

> Somnath Mishra
> (sm46_at_prism.gatech.edu)

We are currently using DBMS pipes to listen for requests from client workstations to an optical server connected to an optical jukebox. The only issue that we have run into is when the databse goes down, you must create a routine that kills the sql*net connection for the pipe. Other than this minor problem, DBMS pipes has proved to be very reliable. From what I understand, it is being used in many production systems, and even some of Oracle's own application products. Received on Wed Oct 19 1994 - 21:13:42 CET

Original text of this message