Re: Database Pipes:Opinions ?

From: Bruce Pihlamae <pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 20 Oct 94 13:35:33 +1000

In article <383vo1$b33_at_dcsun4.us.oracle.com>, dhuet_at_us.oracle.com writes:

> In article <381f1f$hlq_at_acmey.gatech.edu>, <sm46_at_prism.gatech.edu> writes:
>

>> 	We are trying to determine the feasibility of relying on the
>>  the "database pipes" in Oracle7 to activate a Pro*C-program in the Client
>>  from within the Server.

... stuff deleted ...

> We are currently using DBMS pipes to listen for requests from client
> workstations to an optical server connected to an optical jukebox.

We are using DBMS pipes to send parameters to a 'report server' process. The users are running Forms 4 on their PCs but don't want to stop working while the report they need gets produced. The user simply sends a message via pipe to the dedicated 'report server' PC(s) and then carries on working. The 'report server' PC picks up the parameters from the pipe, produces the report and then sends it to the appropriate printer (or E-Mails to the user who requested the report).

> The only
> issue that we have run into is when the databse goes down, you must create a
> routine that kills the sql*net connection for the pipe.
> Other than this minor problem, DBMS pipes has proved to be very reliable.

I second this. It's a very useful facility.

--

Bruce...        pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au

* Bruce Pihlamae  --  Database Administration                     *
* Commonwealth Department of Human Services and Health            *
* Canberra, ACT, Australia                        (W) 06-289-7056 *
* These are my own thoughts and opinions, few that I have.        *

"The more complex the argument gets, the easier it is to refute."
"Killing is wrong!"  -- Trent 'The Uncatchable' Castanaveras