Re: ORACLEware/Novell Problems Still

From: Richard W. Harris <rwh4+_at_pitt.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 1994 08:15:44

In article <37v3mp$h68_at_news.delphi.com> dagmara_at_news.delphi.com (DAGMARA_at_DELPHI.COM) writes:
>From: dagmara_at_news.delphi.com (DAGMARA_at_DELPHI.COM)
>Subject: ORACLEware/Novell Problems Still
>Date: 18 Oct 1994 00:08:57 -0000

>Some of you took me to task for not providing enough info in my original
>"ORACLE running like sludge" so here are more gory details:

>1. Running 192 MG RAM on an IBM
>2. It is an ORACLE Server on its own ring
>3. One user (other than the standard background processes)
>4. Novell block size is 64K, ORACLE block size is 4K

I thought that your Novell block size was supposed to be <= your Oracle block size. This may not have anything to do with your problem, but I thought was worth pointing out.

Then again, it may.

>5. It has 4 GIG disk, and will be running duplexed (duplex is off now)
>6. We are using "out of the box" INIT.ORA parameters for a medium-sized
>database.
>7. Using the "out of the box" INIT.ORA parameters for a large-sized
>database crashes the system...especially if trying to create a datafile >60MG
>8. Old errata: V7.0.15 RDBMS with V3.12 Novell
>9. The best I can get: loading 6 records/second; I must have 10
>records/second

>Any ideas????? Thanx.

>Dagmar Anne Bogan

>Kopania & Komorovski
>Richardson, TX 75081

>dagmara_at_delphi.com

  • Rick

Richard Harris, Systems Analyst (rwh4+_at_pitt.edu) Office Systems Services, University of Pittsburgh

"Long as you're not afraid, nobody can run your life  for you. Remember that. Hell is being scared of things.  Heaven is refusing to be scared. I mean that literally."

  • Boomer, "Skinney Legs and All" by Tom Robbins