How to measure the speed

From: Michael Stowe <Michael.Stowe_at_f573.n115.z1.nwugate.fidonet.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 94 10:18:58 -0500

This is very platform and implementation specific; however, even on a table this size, a well-tuned database searching on a highly differentiated index should be able to return a row in under a second.

> My client's bottom line is 3 second, is it possible? how can I know
> whether it's possible or not? If it is impossible, updating the computer
> server, say using Pentinm 100 , can reach that goal(3 second for searching
> one recorder)?

The only sure way is to build a valid test case. Any extrapolation would be platform-specific, and small-sample extrapolations aren't valid, i.e., if it takes half a second to retrieve a record from a 10 row table, it does NOT mean that it takes 13 hours to retrieve a record from a 100000 row table -- generally, it would also take half a second. I would say it is possible, but you haven't said what platform you're running on. Received on Mon Sep 26 1994 - 16:18:58 CET

Original text of this message