Re: How to expedite your Support call (YEAH Right)

From: Geoff Coleman <geoff_at_ugc.ab.ca>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 1994 04:12:48 GMT

OK here we go with both feet :-)

Well it really is nice to see someone from Oracle respond too bad about the disclaimer at the end. Perhaps you should have added to your disclaimer something about "Your Mileage May Very" or "This is how it is supposed to be".

When is Oracle going to realize that there support organization doesn't work. What is really funny is when we talk to them about doing a trial license on one of their products and they insist on charging us for "SUPPORT" for the month we will have the product.

I would like to here people's worst case support scenarios from ORACLE. It might make an amusing talk at an ORACLE conference. I'll start off with a couple:

  1. Product won't install out of the box. Phone support and after a week they return the call with "Oh that is a known problem this is the work around". In the mean time we had figured out a work around 6 days before the call was returned. When I mentioned to the head of Support in Canada that if they were shipping a product with a problem they knew would stop an easy install they should include a blurb with the work around. He agreed that would be a good idea.
  2. Still my favorite one though is:
  3. Log a TAR with Oracle support in Canada
  4. send examples
  5. they agree they can duplicate the problem and that it is a bug!!!
  6. it gets escalated to Oracle WWS
  7. they can't reproduce the problem so they close the TAR
  8. We get notified 2 months later of the status of the TAR by Oracle CANADA
  9. Phone call to ORACLE Canada questioning why we pay support etc.
  10. Someone mentions it to President of Oracle Canada at a User Group meeting (he is not happy :-( )

Personally the only time I call support now is when I need a good laugh. We have found that it is quicker to try every work around possible (or in the case of a down database reload) than it is to get an answer from ORACLE.

just my two cents.

Geoff Coleman

p.s. please e-mail good support horror stories to geoff_at_ugc.ab.ca and I'll

     try to summarize the best ones.