Re: MAY-DAY !!! Oracle 7 / Novell 3.12 Compatibility Problem...

From: Robert Hart <rhart_at_wnet.gov.edmonton.ab.ca>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 1994 15:47:09 GMT

In article <MSNIDER.73.000F6298_at_rapnet.sanders.lockheed.com> MSNIDER_at_rapnet.sanders.lockheed.com (Marc Snider) writes:
>In article <779586431snz_at_kheldar.demon.co.uk> Clint_at_kheldar.demon.co.uk (Clint
>Redwood) writes:
>>From: Clint_at_kheldar.demon.co.uk (Clint Redwood)
>>Subject: MAY-DAY !!! Oracle 7 / Novell 3.12 Compatibility Problem...
>>Date: Wed, 14 Sep 1994 23:47:11 +0000

>>Can anyone help me? We are having a seemingly intractible problem...

>>Our Oracle server seems to be losing the connection to our clients on SOME
>>of our client pc's, and not on others. Oracle are stumped as to why this is
>>happening. We have had all the patches to SQL*NET SPX which they could find.

>>We are running an Oracle 7.0.16 Server on a Novell NetWare 3.12 server, and
>>using clients running Windows for Workgroups 3.11. The microsoft windows
>>network in WFWG is completely disabled.

>>Some of the client machines just spontaneously lose their server connection
>>after a short period of idle time. Others after a longer period, and still
>>others do not show this problem at all. This indicates to me that it is a
>>problem with our clients, not the server. However, although there are many
>>differences between the working and non working clients... we can't find any
>>which explains the problem, and therefore the cure.

>>Please could someone mail me with any helpful ideas / solutions.

>>Thanx....
>>--
>>Clint Redwood

>Put a packet grabber on the wire and monitor the connection between an
>affected client and the database server. When the connection locks it should
>be readily obvious what operation was in progress. Determine which machine
>was guilty of not carrying on the connection properly and then scope backwards
>to determine which software/hardware configuration issue might be responsible.

>Marc
>msnider_at_rapnet.sanders.lockheed.com

One possible problem is your network. I am in the same environment as you are and have no problems but another department does. First thing you should remember is that Oracle sqlnet for ipx is 100% broadcast packets. Second is that it is looking for your database server by its database name. If you did not change it from the default ORASRV and there is a second Oracle server with the same name, your toast.

We also had some problems with a router in that it did not handle the Novell ipx broadcast packets properly. It's not exactly tcp/ip and you need some decent network routing equipment if you are a WAN.

Lastly you may try a software upgrade. We had a problem with our DOS clients that we could never fix but a software upgrade fixed it. Oracle could not help us either.

Robert Hart Received on Tue Sep 20 1994 - 17:47:09 CEST

Original text of this message