Re: RDB Sold to Oracle! Damn!

From: Jay Feenan <feenan_at_nova.enet.dec.com>
Date: 11 SEP 94 11:03:30 EDT

In article <1994Sep1.215040.4650_at_malad2.mala.bc.ca>, dunnett_at_mala.bc.ca (Malcolm Dunnett) writes...
>In article <3463bm$nm1_at_jac.zko.dec.com>,
> feenan_at_nova.enet.dec.com (Jay Feenan) writes:
>>
>> In this case, I think that the product offered to the customer over the next
>> 3-5 years will be much better than what would have been offered in the same
>> time frame if Rdb remained status quo in Digitals software world. The deal is
>> not for just the software, but the engineers, the support people, the people
>> that documented the product, wrote courses....etc. The *exact same* person

.
.
.

> So while I'm glad to hear the RDB team is being kept relatively intact I
>have considerable doubt that in a few years we'll be able to afford your
>product.
>
>--
>Malcolm Dunnett Malaspina University-College Email: dunnett_at_mala.bc.ca
>Computer Services Nanaimo, B.C. CANADA V9R 5S5 Tel: (604)755-8738

I understand your concerns. But I imagine that Oracle will have to compete with Sybase, Microsoft, etc to make Oracle products affordable...and DEC will have to compete more with IBM,HP, etc to make their hardware more affordable.

Certainly you know the saying nothing is for free. I suspect you've paid more to Peter so Peter can pay Paul.

-Jay Feenan

*opinions expressed here are solely my own... Received on Sun Sep 11 1994 - 17:03:30 CEST

Original text of this message