Re: Running Two versions of oracle

From: Leo Mannhart <mannhart_at_zuv.unizh.ch>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 1994 10:28:09 GMT

In article <1994Sep2.131027.17712_at_ucl.ac.uk>, andrew_at_dcs.bbk.ac.uk wrote:

> I am having a problem try to start a different version of oracle on
> a SunOS 4.1.3 system. I have Oracle V6.0.36 running and I want to run
> Oracle V7.0.13.
> The problem is I get the following error message:
>
> SQLDBA> ORA-07279: spcre: semget error, unable to get first semaphore set.
> SunOS Error: 28: No space left on device
> Additional information: 2
>
> OK! I guess its just a matter of increasing the number of semaphores, but
> HOW? I can't locate it in the SunOS manauls.
>
> Thanks for any help
> Andrew...
>

> Andrew Watkins e-mail: andrew_at_dcs.bbk.ac.uk
> System Group tel: 071-631 6544
> Computer Science Department fax: 071-636 4971
> Birkbeck College (University of London)
> Malet Street
> London
> WC1E 7HX

Andrew

You're rigth, there are a few kernel options to increase the IPC semaphores and shared memory paramters. They are in the manual "Advanced Administration Topics". This kernel options changing requires to build a new kernel which is in th manual under "Reconfiguring the system kernel". Try this:

#cd /usr/kvm/sys/`arch -k`/conf
#cp COINFIG_FILE NEW_SYS_NAME
#chmod +w NEW_SYS_NAME
#vi NEW_SYS_NAME

    in the editor now insert after the various System V IPC facilites     the following lines

      options SEMMNI=20
      options SEMMNS=150
      options SEMUME=20
      options SEMMNU=60

      options SHMMNI=150

    save and quit the editor

#config NEW_SYS_NAME
#cd ../NEW_SYS_NAME
#make
#mv /vmunix /vmunix.orig
#cp vmunix /vmunix
#sync ; sync ; sync ;
#/etc/halt

 If you're not familiar with unix kernel configuration then pay attention to the "vmunix" filenames with and without the leading "/", or better get in touch with your system administrator. If you now start up Oracle you then have two images of Oracle 6 and Oracle7 running on the same box. I have this combo up and running on a SS1+ as a test and development machine. Remember Oracle7 will eat up about 4.5MB memory whereas Oracle 6 needs about 1MB.

Hope this helps
LM

--
Leo Mannhart