Re: Using Same connect by different process

From: Scott Urman <surman_at_wwsun10.us.oracle.com>
Date: 16 Aug 1994 16:44:47 GMT

In article <CuMuL8.7xz_at_uunet!aadt>, a363674_at_aadt.com (Shirish Kumar) writes:
|> We are looking for the solution to the following problem -
|>
|> How can we use the same rolback segment from
|> two different processes? In other words, how can we
|> connect to the database from one process and let other
|> process use the same 'connect'? To make it more clear, we
|> want a process to see all the changes made by a different
|> process without commiting.
|>
|> Shirish Kumar
|> 817 963 2867
|>
|> Environment:
|> ORACLE7 7.0.15.4, PRO*C
|> on SUN OS 5.3

Rollback segments don't do this. This is impossible with a transaction-oriented database like Oracle - the very definition of transactions means that until one session commits the other sessions won't see the changes. What happens if the first session rolls back after the second session has used the changes made by the first session (or while the second session has a cursor open using the data that was changed by session 1)? You may want to look at the DBMS_PIPE package. This allows you to send messages between different sessions. It is not transaction based - the messages get send immediately and you can't roll them back. That might solve your problems. Received on Tue Aug 16 1994 - 18:44:47 CEST

Original text of this message