Re: "ad hoc" query tools

From: Carlos Camara <ccamara_at_oakbs01.apl.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 1994 08:48:00 +0000

In article <Cu0oLA.KBv_at_gdss.grumman.com>, mcdufge_at_gdss.grumman.com (George McDuffie) wrote:

> Anyone using an "ad hoc" query tool? I would greatly appreciate some
> input on how you like it. We are using v6 on a Novell server and would
> like to give a few select individuals the ability to query the db.
>
> Thanks....

> George McDuffie
> mcdufge_at_gdss.grumman.com

We are using Oracle Data Browser as our company wide ad hoc product. The users seem to like it and training is fairly simple. However we have recently notice some of the limitations of the production as far as data modeling is concerned. We are currently recommending users to export data to Excel for further analysis . We have seem Data Query and it is a great tool, however it is in beta mode for character mode. Windows versions will not be here soon, and Mac won't be until next year.

I have investigated another alternative, that is using Excel 5.0. Excel has a tool called Query which acts much like Data Browser howver it returns the data automatically to Excel where you can use Pivot table and Charting Facilities to improve your data modeling. It also refreshes the Pivot table or Charting facilities with a click of a button. It comes included with package no extra charges. It looks very promising.

Carlos Camara
ccamara_at_oakb2s01.apl.com Received on Tue Aug 16 1994 - 10:48:00 CEST

Original text of this message