Re: Oracle Alert

From: Francois G. Gendron <gendron_at_cam.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 1994 06:51:39 -0500

In article <32o4e2$2i8_at_search01.news.aol.com>, oracle71_at_aol.com (Oracle71) wrote:

> Yes, Oracle*Alert is a seperately purchased product.
> #######################
> Gee, I tried to buy it from them a month or two ago and they wouldn't
> sell it to me. I was told it's currently only sold along with Oracle
> Financials and other stuff in that family, but not available freestanding.
>
> Would using the DBMS Alert procedure stuff without being licensed
> for Oracle Alert constitute a violation of licensing terms?

> R. (Scott) Hunter shunter_at_cfotax.attmail.com
> AT&T Tax Systems, Financial Services Organization
> AT&T Corporation, Morristown, NJ

Well, I don't see why Oracle would not sell it if you REALLY want it. BUT, you must consider that as a standalone product (i.e. apart from financials & MFG) Oracle*Alert consumes quite a bit of ressources. Since it was created to support Oracle applications it is very integrated into these. Just to get it running standalone, you must have all application object library (AOL) tables loaded (100MG) plus the Oracle*Alert tables (less than a Meg I would guess). Same goes with the code, AOL takes up a lot of space compared with just Alert. The overhead of AOL is lost in a sea of data when you use many modules, but with just Alert, it really sticks out.

--
Francois G. Gendron                 Internet : gendron_at_cam.org
Conseiller Principal                Telephone: (514) 651-8471

-- Efficient, Re-engineered Businesses supported by Oracle Applications --