Re: V7 connectivity from a PC

From: Barry Roomberg <barry.roomberg_at_compudata.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 94 11:45:00 -0500

-> The second question asked - about a public domain version -
-> I doubt it very much if anyone has any public domain SQL*Net
-> replacement software. Such an item would be so much in
-> demand that everyone would know about it. :-)

I wish. I'm going from V6->V7, and V7 uses about 700KB more memory per user, which = around 20MB on my 32 user system.

One way to get the memory down would be to use the multi-threaded server aspect of V7, but that requires SQL-NET. Since I'm not in a networked env, I don't have it now and would need to purchase it. Turns out that it costs TWICE as much as a fully loaded new computer system!!!! I'll probably end up with a new system instead.

It's incredible that Oracle forces us to upgrade, touts the wonders of MTS, and then makes us buy additional products such as SQL-NET which have NOTHING to do with the kernel functionality in order to even run it!!! I'm gonna think long and hard whenever recomending Oracle to a client! Received on Wed Aug 10 1994 - 18:45:00 CEST

Original text of this message