Re: SQL*NET over dial-in

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_tibalt.supernet.ab.ca>
Date: 9 Aug 1994 10:48:28 -0600

bwitt_at_tdsc1.actd.saic.com wrote:

> We access an Oracle7 database running on a SCO Box over a PPP connection from
> our PC's. On the PC's we're running SQL*Net v2.0, Oracle's TCP/IP Adapter v2.0,
> SQL*Plus v3.1, and NetManage's Chameleon v4.0. We have written several
> applications using Visual Basic v3.0 and Q+E's ODBC drivers with this
> configuration. To SQL*Net it seems like a normal TCP/IP network connection.

Our config is similar ... the only differences are SQL*Net V1 instead of SQL*Net V2, and SLIP instead of PPP.

It works, BUT if the application retrieves a lot of data, or does some hidden work (for example, fetch data, do calcs, and then present a message), then the app might become unacceptably slow. A lot depends on your dial-up speed - at 14.4, the user interface in our app was OK, but validation based on computational results rather than stored values caused us to look at alternatives.

/Hans Received on Tue Aug 09 1994 - 18:48:28 CEST

Original text of this message