Re: SQL*NET over dial-in

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_tibalt.supernet.ab.ca>
Date: 2 Aug 1994 20:24:25 -0600

Bart Mendez (bmb_at_bae.bellcore.com) wrote:
> I'm developing an application that will have local and remote users. The
> clients will be PCs running a PowerBuilder front-end, and the server will
> be an HP 9000 with Oracle7 and SQL*NET. The local users will be connected
> to the network via an Ethernet LAN, but the remote users will have to dial
> in from remote locations. Unfortunately, there's no choice. What kind of
> transport protocol should I use for the remote users? TCP/IP over a SLIP
> or PPP connection comes to mind, but I'm not sure if this is the best or
> only choice. If it is, what TCP/IP software package(s) for the PC can
> handle this?

> Thanks,
> Bart Mendez

We have a similar situation ... front end = VB3 & Q+E's MultiLink/VB, back end = Oracle7 on UNIX server, mainly TCP/IP but some remote sites.

I lab tested SQL*Net V1 over SLIP using a 14.4 US Robotics on both ends. SQL*Plus, SQL*Forms, etc are fine with acceptable response. App with Q+E was almost acceptable, due to heavy traffic rqmts. App with pure MS dynasets & ODBC was incredibly dismal.

/Hans Received on Wed Aug 03 1994 - 04:24:25 CEST

Original text of this message