Re: Out of Memory - Oracle ODBC Driver

From: Richard D Holowczak <holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu>
Date: 5 Aug 94 18:44:40 GMT

Darrell.Edwards_at_SanDiegoCA.NCR.COM (Darrell Edwards) writes:

>When I try to run a MS Access 2.0 application with the Oracle 1.1 ODBC
>driver, I keep getting an "Out of Memory" error. With my PC setup, I can't
>see how I could be out of memory. Has anybody run into a similar problem?
>Any ideas on what I can do or change?

  After you load up everything in CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT   and before you run Windows, how much DOS RAM do you have   available ? If you are using MS-DOS 5 or 6, you can   get this by typing MEM at the DOS prompt. Look for   "Largest Executable size".

  Oracle's ODBC seems to like a nice chunk of real mode memory   (the first 640 K DOS uses). So it matters not how much   physical RAM you have, just what is available in DOS.

  If you are low on DOS ram, try loading driver into high memory   regions or get rid of drivers you don't need such as your    mouse driver (Windows has one built in anyhow).   Try to get at least 500K free if possible.

    Oracle has acknowledged some problems with how their ODBC     driver obtains and releases (or doesn't release as the case     may be) buffer space for ODBC calls. No word on a fix yet .

Rich Holowczak
Rutgers University
holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu