Re: Oracle or Third party User Interface Application for Mac

From: Jeff Rule <rule_at_apple.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 1994 07:09:37 GMT

In article <31gsfb$5ba_at_search01.news.aol.com>, benlowers_at_aol.com (Ben Lowers) wrote:

> In article <1994Jul27.145631.1_at_skcla.monsanto.com>,
> rjscho_at_skcla.monsanto.com writes:
>
> >In article <315te2INN4r3_at_CS.UTK.EDU>, sallen_at_duncan.cs.utk.edu (Susan
 Clower
> >Allen) writes:
> >> I am trying to find an Oracle or Third party Application that will
 allow
> >> development of a GUI Client/Server Application for the Macintosh
> >> enviornment? ANy halp would be appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >> Susan
> >> sallen_at_cs.utk.edu
> >>
> >> p.s. Please send info. via email... I don't get on notes often.

> >Please put replies in here as well!

I work for the Apple IS&T organization, and we have have been implementing systems using 4D from ACIUS for the last couple of years. I am a DBA so, I don't know all the details on the Mac side, but I believe Oracle supplies a package that implements the 4D->SQL*NET V1 interface (TCP/IP only). There is a version of the package due out soon that will be implemented with the Oracle Glue tools the will implement SQL*NET v2. Either ACIUS or a third party offer a second set of connectivity routines.

I can't say I believe this is the best solution, large desktop foot print, cumbersom user interface, hard to manage client code base, but it does work and it has been very reliable. Both 4D developers I have worked with liked the development environment and thought it was easy to work with.

--
-Jeff Rule/Apple Computer/rule_at_apple.com

NOTE: this in no way constitutes any product endorsement, just offering up
some insight on how we use oracle internally.  I'm pretty sure I have to
say that our lawyers can get so testy! ;)