Re: Maximum SQL statement size

From: Francois G. Gendron <gendron_at_cam.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 19:43:24 -0500

In article <gagnon.4.000F1C5D_at_heron.dsr.com>, gagnon_at_heron.dsr.com (Lorrie Gagnon) wrote:

> I would like to know:
> - the maximum size of an SQL statement when accessing the database
> through ODBC
> - the maximum size of an SQL statement when accessing through SQL*Plus.

Don't know exact numbers for SQL*Plus or ODBC but ...

A couple of years ago, I dealt with a client using Oracle General Ledger who had aproximately 80 ledgers in different currencies to consolidate into one ledger. The consolidation program uses a dynamically created SQL statement to collect the data to be transferred. Under his environment the generated SQL statement was about 40 pages of packed, unformatted code (only one space between keywords, no linefeeds).

Well, it seems that at that time we hit the SQL statement size limit that the
ORACLE kernel could handle. We had the experts from California take a look and they patched the kernel, telling us that no one should ever hit the limit
any more :-)

--
Francois G. Gendron                 Internet : gendron_at_cam.org
Conseiller Principal                Telephone: (514) 651-8471

-- Efficient, Re-engineered Businesses supported by Oracle Applications --