Re: Non-root Ora 7 install

From: Mark J. Bobak <mbobak_at_tr1106.to.ford.com>
Date: 27 Jul 1994 13:38:00 GMT

In article <775249041snz_at_gjw1992.demon.co.uk>, Gary John Walker <gjwalker_at_gjw1992.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> If the System Administrators demand that all 'applications',
> including Oracle 7 rdbms server be installed without -
>
> 1. Logging on as root at *any* time (i.e. edit root.sh
> to knock out the check).
>
> 2. Placing any files within the so-called system areas
> ( / , /usr , including /etc ).
>
> Is this *possible*? If so how. (Ban includes no soft linked
> files).
>
> This is on SunOs 4.1.3.
>
> (and of course after great debate over modifying *any*
> so-called system file - like adding a dba group to
> /etc/group , or an oracle user to /etc/passwd , or a port
> number in /etc/services ... where admittedly a raw port
> number *could* be fed to orasrv etc ... and not yet being
> allowed to install X11R5 and motif).
>
> BTW, this root ban is not simply on 'us', but should be
> against any application - even if installed by sys admin
> they're not allowed to cheat by logging on as root.

Hmmm....well, as to installing Oracle 7 given the above restrictions, I don't see how it could possibly be done.

But, there's more to it than that. It seems like a case of the tail wagging the dog. They are sys admins, not gods! If you can't install applications, you don't have a user base. Users have no need to login, if there are no apps. If no users login, what do you need the computer for? And if you don't need the computer, you don't need the sys admins.

This sounds like a ludicrous policy, and I can't imagine that it will stand up to scrutiny. I believe in a modicum of security measures, but this sounds ridiculous!

Just my two bits....

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak