Zombies on SunOS and orasrv

From: Scott A. Hissam <hissam_at_source.asset.com>
Date: 15 Jul 1994 12:30:52 -0400

we were finally able to track down the cause of the problem and (for us) were able to do a workaround. In fact we were able to reproduce the problem with straight SQLPLUS. The problem (in fact confirmed with trace -p <pid of orasrv>) is that orasrv on our system which is SunOS 4.1.3_U1, is that orasrv is not handling death of child (which is obvious because of those zombies).

Follow? I think if you continue to use the _at_T mechanism for logging into the database, orasrv will continue to leave zombies.

this session created a zombie:

sqlplus dbuser_at_T:myhost:mydb

SQL*Plus: Release 3.1.3.2.1 - Production on Fri Jul 15 12:23:18 1994

Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1979, 1992. All rights reserved.

Enter password:
Warning: Product user profile information not loaded! Error in disabling roles in product user profile.

Connected to:
ORACLE7 Server Release 7.0.16.4.0 - Production With the procedural and distributed options PL/SQL Release 2.0.18.1.0 - Production

SQL> quit
Disconnected from ORACLE7 Server Release 7.0.16.4.0 - Production With the procedural and distributed options PL/SQL Release 2.0.18.1.0 - Production

Now I have a defunct (zombie) process which orasrv didn't handle - the question is WHY? if I use sqlplus without connecting over the network to myself there is no problem.

Scott Hissam
Unisys Corporation
(304) 367-8273 Received on Fri Jul 15 1994 - 18:30:52 CEST

Original text of this message