Re: Oracle Call Interface

From: Jodi J. Showers <jshowers_at_cmi.on.ca>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 1994 12:50:30 GMT

In article <CsJnpt.5DA.3_at_cs.cmu.edu> Philip Dye, phdye+_at_ELROND.GANDALF.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
>Someone once mentioned to me that OCI not going to be
>supported in future releases.
>
>Does anyone have any information supporting or contradicting this ?
>
>Philip H. Dye

I may be wrong, but I believe the issue with OCI is that it may change fundementally change with each release and that backward compatiblity is not provided.

If you require some stability you're best to use the Pro*language suite.

Although there are distinct advantages to OCI; ie. speed, flexibility.

I'm sure there's an Oracle Rep lurking out there that can zoom in on this issue.

Jodi J. Showers (jshowers_at_cmi.on.ca)

P.S. Although brings up an interesting point regarding the oraperl product. We
decided not to use it (though it may be *very* powerful) as it's implemented
at the OCI layer, and we didn't wan't a maintenance headache. Though I believe
that some big shops (not say big means smart - like streetcar) such as AT&T
are looking for people with oracle and oraperl experience. The point is : with
a powerful product relying on OCI, being used by big clients, what pressure
may this place on Oracle? Received on Fri Jul 08 1994 - 14:50:30 CEST

Original text of this message