Re: Oracle Call Interface

From: Tom Poindexter <tpoind_at_advtech.uswest.com>
Date: 8 Jul 1994 19:55:08 GMT

In article <CsMH06.9ns_at_cmi.on.ca> Jodi J. Showers <jshowers_at_cmi.on.ca> writes:
>In article <CsJnpt.5DA.3_at_cs.cmu.edu> Philip Dye,
>phdye+_at_ELROND.GANDALF.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
>>Someone once mentioned to me that OCI not going to be
>>supported in future releases.
>>
>>Does anyone have any information supporting or contradicting this ?

Just to add a little to this thread, I do recall the OCI Product Manager posting a note several months ago stating continued support. This issue seems to pop up from time to time; perhaps it's time for an FAQ entry.

>P.S. Although brings up an interesting point regarding the oraperl
>product. We
>decided not to use it (though it may be *very* powerful) as it's
>implemented
>at the OCI layer, and we didn't wan't a maintenance headache. Though I
>believe

I've written a similar interface for Tool Command Language (Tcl) called Oratcl. It too uses OCI. While OCI was changed in some respects from V6 to V7, it still is mostly backward compatible. I wrote a small set of macros that use the V7 calls where possible; the code can be compiled for either V6 for V7 support. I personally wouldn't want to have written to Pro*C.

If OCI is every dropped by Oracle, I'd either continue to use the lastest OCI, or recode Oratcl to use Pro*C. I suspect the Oraperl folks would do the same. There's no doubt for me: I'll continue to use Tcl/Tk/Oratcl for the benefit of writing and supporting the X11 applications I need to produce.

For info on Oratcl:
ftp://harbor.ecn.purdue.edu/pub/tcl/extensions/oratcl-2.11.tar.gz

For Tcl in general:
ftp://harbor.ecn.purdue.edu/pub/tcl/docs/faq*

--
Tom Poindexter     tpoind_at_advtech.uswest.com  or  tpoindex_at_nyx.cs.du.edu
U S WEST Advanced Technologies,  Boulder, Colorado