Re: ORACLE FORMS 3 VS FORMS 4

From: Geoff Coleman <geoff_at_ugc.ab.ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 1994 03:42:35 GMT

In article <2u70gs$5fv_at_tamsun.tamu.edu>, Mahesh Vallampati <m0v5533_at_tamsun.tamu.edu> wrote:
>In article <2u6abg$9m1_at_scsing.switch.ch>, Martin Berli <berli_at_switch.ch> wrote:
>>
>>Well, if one wants to stick with character mode deployment: Are there still
>>advantages of Forms4 over Forms3? I've never seen them mentioned.

        Remember in this case you still need to use the GUI development tools.

>> Martin Berli

>>Internet: berli_at_switch.ch | SWITCH, Swiss Academic and Research Network
>>Phone : +41 1 268 1540 | Limmatquai 138
>>Fax : +41 1 268 1568 | CH-8001 Zurich
>Advantages:
>1) U can use a better editor for writing ur triggers. For frustrated developers
>of forms3.0 application like me this is a god send:).

        Really better than editing the inp file with EMACS. As far as I know     you still can't get an editable version of the form file outside of forms     4. And yes you can create a whole form just using EMACS.

>Some Not apparent Dis-advantages:
>1) The porting of a Forms4.0 GUI application from one windowing environment to
>another is really not so straight forward as it seems to be. U might have
>to tune ur windowing environmment or the form a little bit to set ur
>application right Though it is not really a very big deal.
>2) U need more hardware. 16MB/RAM ,486 PC etc. So budget for more hardware
>costs.

        And lastly it is no more or less stable than Forms 3!!!!!!

Geoff Coleman Received on Wed Jun 22 1994 - 05:42:35 CEST

Original text of this message