Re: ORACLE FORMS 3 VS FORMS 4

From: Michael J Matthews <mjm_at_atti14.atti14.attibr.att.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 1994 18:50:58 GMT

In article <2u70gs$5fv_at_tamsun.tamu.edu>,

Mahesh Vallampati <m0v5533_at_tamsun.tamu.edu> wrote:

>In article <2u6abg$9m1_at_scsing.switch.ch>, Martin Berli <berli_at_switch.ch> wrote:
>>Dennis Moore (dbmoore_at_us.oracle.com) wrote:
>>
>>> Well, yes there are.

>>> * Graphical or character mode deployment
>>

>Some Not apparent Dis-advantages:
>1) The porting of a Forms4.0 GUI application from one windowing environment to
>another is really not so straight forward as it seems to be. U might have
>to tune ur windowing environmment or the form a little bit to set ur
>application right Though it is not really a very big deal.
>2) U need more hardware. 16MB/RAM ,486 PC etc. So budget for more hardware
>costs.

Further disadvantage for Forms 4 character mode is extremely limited terminal type support (vt100 and thats it) and no way to define others in my environment (NCR SVR4 MPRAS IABI) or so ORACLE support people tell me. This hurts for a remote dial-in application.

Can someone at oracle explain why it is so difficult to support terminal types or even a method of admin maintenance?

--
Michael J Matthews      201-326-5212
ATT Corporate ITS International (until next re-org)