Re: ORACLE FORMS 3 VS FORMS 4

From: Mahesh Vallampati <m0v5533_at_tamsun.tamu.edu>
Date: 21 Jun 1994 10:21:00 -0500

In article <2u6abg$9m1_at_scsing.switch.ch>, Martin Berli <berli_at_switch.ch> wrote:
>Dennis Moore (dbmoore_at_us.oracle.com) wrote:
>
>> Well, yes there are.

>> * Graphical or character mode deployment
>
>Well, if one wants to stick with character mode deployment: Are there still
>advantages of Forms4 over Forms3? I've never seen them mentioned.
>

> Martin Berli

>Internet: berli_at_switch.ch | SWITCH, Swiss Academic and Research Network
>Phone : +41 1 268 1540 | Limmatquai 138
>Fax : +41 1 268 1568 | CH-8001 Zurich
Advantages:
1) U can use a better editor for writing ur triggers. For frustrated developers of forms3.0 application like me this is a god send:). 2) It is possible to use Forms4.0 as a front end to other database like sybase,informix provided u have the ODBC drivers and other database interface tools.
3) Less typing.More cutting pasting.:)Isn't it advantage enough. 4) No SQL*Menu to link ur application to create a menu front-end.It is a part of the tool itself.
5) List of Values can be used for validation in Forms4.0 whereas u had to write a trigger all over again in Forms 3.0 .

Some Not apparent Dis-advantages:
1) The porting of a Forms4.0 GUI application from one windowing environment to another is really not so straight forward as it seems to be. U might have to tune ur windowing environmment or the form a little bit to set ur application right Though it is not really a very big deal. 2) U need more hardware. 16MB/RAM ,486 PC etc. So budget for more hardware costs.

Just my $.02 cents of opinion.

Thanks and Regards
Mahesh Vallampati
M.S. In EE
Dept.of Electrical Engineering,
Texas A & M University.
Ph:(409)845-6189
\\ In the Beginning there was Codd..... Received on Tue Jun 21 1994 - 17:21:00 CEST

Original text of this message