Implementing Constraints

From: Mark Johnson <markj_at_ontko.com>
Date: 13 Jun 1994 20:48:05 GMT

Netters,

        We've recently been through the process of defining the foreign and unique key constraints for a legacy application (using some really spiffy tools that we developed). We did it for the purpose of reverse engineering the application into our CASE tools (Oracle*Case, ERwin) but are now looking for ways to make the most of the declarative constraints.

Under what circumstances is it advisable to have the database kernel (Oracle7) enforce the relationships instead of the program code? Performance issues? Integrity issues?

  • Thanks in advance
    Mark Johnson markj_at_ontko.com Have a nice day. Ray Ontko & Co. ftp cscns.com:/pub/ontko