Re: Lots of tables in O7 & CASE

From: Willy Klotz <willyk_at_kbigate.stgt.sub.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 94 21:53:45 GMT

gagnon_at_heron.dsr.com writes in article <gagnon.4.000D1A9F_at_heron.dsr.com>:

> In article <CqtqA9.I1y_at_stortek.com> v045101_at_procyon.stortek.com (Sean Stasica) writes:
> >From: v045101_at_procyon.stortek.com (Sean Stasica)
> >Subject: Re: Lots of tables in O7
> >Date: Fri, 3 Jun 1994 13:46:56 GMT

> >scott_at_chuck.sycraft.com wrote:
> >> My group is building a critical application. One option is to use many tables
> >> for lookup info (carriers, types of things, etc.) all data driven. This is
> >> best for the tools we use. Result would be 60+ tables of which 20 would have
> >> fewer than 20 rows (lookup stuff). Option two would be to put all of that
> >> lookup stuff in one table.

> >> Which is better for Oracle? Any actual experience?

> >> The answer so far is "design a good database and normalize". Yea, ok but
> >> lets get real also. Any reality out there?

> >Oracle's CASE tool puts all lookup info into a single table when you design
> >your database. This is a good indicator that a single table may be your
> >best bet. (actually, two tables, one which lists the domains, and one
> >for all the values contained under each domain.)
>
> We are using CASE and have all of our lookup tables defined separately.
> How do I get case to create a single table for all lookups???

It does it automagically, but maybe you didn't notice if you don't run CASE*Generator :-)

Look for a table called CG_REF_CODES (in CASE 5.0). If you define domains with low value / high value boundaries, they are stored in this table and if you generate a FORMS program, the table is used as a lookup-table and to provide list-of-values functions.

Willy Klotz

Willys Mail     FidoNet   2:2474/117  2:2474/118     Mail Only System
                CIS: 100020,3517       USR Courier HST dual standard
                willyk_at_kbigate.stgt.sub.org
                ->   No Request from 06.00 to 08.00 <-