Re: Re: oracle performance question

From: <Bill_Thompson.OneSource_at_notes.worldcom.com>
Date: 8 Jun 1994 17:20:03 -0500

>Do you query in SQL-Plus; then the screen output my be a bottleneck.
>Do you query through an network,
>Do you make a full table scan ?
>Do you query through ODBC ?
>Did you separate index and data into seperate tablespaces ?
>Do you query in an PRO-C program. (If so try to pin it into memory;
>possible for unix)

Screen output bottleneck wouldn't explain the modified-page thrashing. There
is very little output and it wouldn't explain why it runs fast for the first 20% then
 slows and starts thrashing madly.

We don't query through a network, or ODBC. We're running on a Vax from a terminal,
 so everything is on the vax.

I assume what you mean by a full table scan is what the stated query "Select * ..." implies. That is, this isn't part of a larger query-- this is it.
A rather simple operation.

We did separate index and data into separate tablespaces (when we used the index-- we've since removed the index with only a slight improvement in performance).

It's not a pro-C program.

It's not disconcerting that you can get to a point where you are thrashing on the vax-- but
even with 16 MB of real memory allocated to this simple scan of the ONE table (110,000 x 82 bytes) you would think it could be read in, scanned and written out to the output file at disk access speeds. Clearly something else is going on besides the obvious!                Received on Thu Jun 09 1994 - 00:20:03 CEST

Original text of this message