Re: Archive data

From: Glenn Nicholas <Glenn_at_wplace.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 1994 13:44:43 +0000

:I do something similar in Application Object Library with the FND_LOGINS/
:FND_CONCURRENT_REQUESTS tables.
:My system involves creating a duplicate table to the one you want to purge
:from, inserting all the old rows into the archive table then deleting
:from the table to purge from. Then, export the archive table and drop it.
:You could also export the original table, resize it, then import it to get
:some space back.

Ditto. We also have a forms front end which allows the user to specify the table to be archived. Archive criteria is entered using lookups against user_tab_columns. The form launches a sqlplus script which uses dynamic sql to include the table name and search criteria (to build a duplicate table, then export the duplicate table). Restoration of tables is also supported, with checks to see if the table has changed at all - if not, the user can specify that the data is put right back where it came from. Otherwise, it just stays in the intermediate table. The reclamation of space was planned, but will have to wait ... We also log all archive/restore activity to maintain an archive log (along with user comments about what is in the archive).

--
Glenn Nicholas.