Re: Archive data

From: Alligator Descartes <v_at_istellar.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 1994 20:20:35 +0000

In article <2skl8mINN4e8_at_turtle.cis.ohio-state.edu>

           skiba_at_cis.ohio-state.edu "david j skiba" writes:

> I have some data in a table and we want to purge old records every month.
> What would be the best way to save these records offline. There is
> a small chance we may need to look at them after being purged but we
> must save them anyway.

I do something similar in Application Object Library with the FND_LOGINS/ FND_CONCURRENT_REQUESTS tables.

My system involves creating a duplicate table to the one you want to purge from, inserting all the old rows into the archive table then deleting from the table to purge from. Then, export the archive table and drop it. You could also export the original table, resize it, then import it to get some space back.

Simple as that! It's not elegant, but it works quite nicely. Just remember where you put your export file!

--
Alligator Descartes
v_at_istellar.demon.co.uk