Internet access to Oracle databases?

From: Patrick Johnson <tspj_at_ucs.ubc.ca>
Date: 27 May 1994 21:57:31 GMT

Has anyone out there any experience with providing a read-only path into an Oracle 7 database from WWW (World-Wide Web), or any other way of providing public access to Oracle via Internet?

I understand that WWW has a mechanism to generate SQL, which could be piped through SQL*Net, and thence to the Oracle server, so it looks feasible on paper.

My biggest concern is security - with the world out there looking in, I want to be darn sure that no-one can see more of the database than I want them to, and to be equally certain that no unauthorised person can apply updates.

I would appreciate replies by e-mail, please, as I'm not a regular reader of this newsgroup; I'll summarise replies back to the group.

Thanks for any info,

...PJ
(tspj_at_ucs.ubc.ca) Received on Fri May 27 1994 - 23:57:31 CEST

Original text of this message